We checked in with Mabel for an exclusive interview just before she flies off to Scalabis Cup on the 2nd July. See the full interview below!
Congratulations on your selection for the event. How did you feel when you first found out the news?
- I was so excited and so pleased with myself. My Dad had just picked me up from school and my mum read the letter to me over face time as she was at work. I was going crazy in the car.
I was so pleased that I was also going with the others (Louise, Holly and Peter).
This will be your first international competition representing Great Britain. What are your aims for this competition?
- To win obviously ha-ha! I would really like to get to the final.
Are there any role models/inspirational sports people you look up to that have helped you in your gymnastics career?
- Before swapping to Tumbling and DMT last year, I did artistic gymnastics and my artistic coach Catherine was a very supportive coach. I trained at Pegasus Gymnastics Club with Courtney Tulloch and James Hall, they were always going off on international duty and it was inspiring to be around them.Since being at Jumpers, Louise Brownsey has been both a good role model and inspiration for me as she is so professional and hard working… plus she helps me loads and does really good competition hair! All the squad help me as well and give me good advice, plus Paul my DMT Coach helps guide me in the right direction. My Coach Ollie is my biggest support though as he coaches me for both Tumbling and DMT. My Mum said I spend more time with him than I do with the family!
Obviously, you and Holly have been selected for this event. How does it feel knowing you and your training partner will be representing Great Britain for the first time together?
- It’s brilliant isn’t it! We might compete against each other but we support each other loads and we also make good Tik-Tok videos when we’re at squad camp! I really hope we are rooming together in Portugal.
Do you have any competition rituals to get you ready?
- Nah that’s a load of nonsense, just get on with it!
Thank you Mabel for answering our questions. We wish you the best of luck and hope the competition goes well!